The Wales Cancer Research Centre (WCRC) works in partnership to develop and deliver research excellence across Wales, in line with the all-Wales cancer research strategy (CReSt) that launched in 2022. We are based at Cardiff University and funded by Health and Care Research Wales.
In 2024 WCRC is launching new multidisciplinary research groups (MDRGs) to align with CReSt. These groups bring together clinical and non-clinical researchers, and WCRC patient and public representatives to drive collaboration and work collectively on funding bids.
WCRC is seeking individuals to chair the newly launching groups. Group meetings will be held twice per year, once in-person (full day) and once online (~2 hours). Chairs will engage speakers for the meetings, and input through attendance and participation at meetings and offline between meetings as appropriate.
Please note these are unremunerated roles, and will be for a period of 2 years initially (continuation of groups beyond March 2025 subject to WCRC’s funding renewal).
We are currently seeking expressions of interest (EoIs) from individuals for the following roles:
• MDRG Co-Chair: Precision and mechanistic oncology
• MDRG Co-Chair: Immuno-oncology
• MDRG Co-Chair: Radiotherapy
• MDRG Co-Chair: Cancer clinical trials
• MDRG Co-Chair: Palliative and supportive oncology
• MDRG Co-Chair: Cancer prevention, detection, primary care and health services research.
A maximum of two individuals will be selected to lead each group. To be eligible you must be based in Wales, engaged in research-related activity that is relevant to cancer.
CReSt MDRG Chairs will be expected to:
- Have capacity to plan and chair 1 in-person and 1 online meeting per year, as well as ad-hoc meetings as required by the group; and to report on the group’s progress to WCRC
- Drive the agenda for each meeting, with a particular focus on study development, and open funding calls to drive collaborative bid applications
- Be engaged in cancer-related research relevant to the CReSt theme to which they are applying
- Prepare the content and logistics for the MDRG meeting by:
- Confirming logistics for each meeting with WCRC hub team
- Engaging relevant speakers for each meeting
- Preparing the meetings’ agendas
Please send your expressions of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 March 2024.
Expressions of interest should comprise a statement (no more than 250 words) outlining
the MDRG of interest, your current role, why you are interested in chairing the MDRG, why you feel you are the right person to chair an MDRG, and (where relevant) a link to your research portfolio or profile.
If you would like an informal conversation with one of the WCRC team for more information, please contact email@example.com and we’d be happy to arrange a short call.